Now that my fitness regiment is in full swing, I have noticed that there are some helpful and SIMPLE tips that keep me going in the right direction when I am starting to drift off course. This is a follow-up to the “End of the Year Fitness Plan”.
1. Sit on an exercise ball while at your work desk and at home in front of the computer: If you spend hours a day seated, “active sitting” engages your ab muscles because your body is continually trying to stabilize the ball. So you are actually performing mini-workouts throughout the day. This could also be used while watching television. If you like, you can purchase an exercise ball chair: here.
2. Have a container of water nearby and sip away: While at work and at home, people often drink sodas or other high calorie on auto-pilot. So you are not only missing the experience the flavor, you are racking up calories and depriving your body of essential hydration. Think you are on the right track with diet sodas? WRONG! Your body actually craves more calories to offset the missing calories it thinks it SHOULD get from the sugar taste of the diet drinks.
3. Snack on fruit and vegetables: Similar to the above tip, people often chomp on hiqh-calorie chips and snacks, while their minds are completely focused on something else. Keep a bowl or bag of cut up fruits and/or vegetables handy to satisfy your snack urges while simultaneously ingesting a variety of vitamins and minerals.
4. Walk while watching tv or listening to favorite tunes: Get on the treadmill and walk. That’s it. Not running, not jogging, not even race-walking! If you are in no mood to workout, just walk at normal pace and watch those ridiculously, addictive reality shows (that’s how I started watching Housewives of Atlanta) or listening to that favorite mix-tape from back in the day. An hour or two will easily pass and you will do your heart and body good.
5. DO NOT lay down after eating! You are probably aware that your body burns less calories when you are sleeping. But did you know that sumo wrestlers eat then go to sleep to help them gain weight quickly? Do you need anymore motivating words?
Have a happy and healthy 2009!
Check out Mel B getting her workout on: